Florida International University is classified by Carnegie as an R1: Doctoral Universities – Highest Research Activity and recognized as a Carnegie-engaged university. It is a public research university with colleges and schools that offers 196 bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral programs in fields such as engineering, computer science, international relations, architecture, law, and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU contributes almost $9 billion yearly to the local economy. FIU is a world ahead in finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission. FIU has awarded over 220,000 degrees and enrolls more than 54,000 students in two campuses and three centers, including FIU Downtown on Brickell, FIU@I-75, and the Miami Beach Urban Studios. FIU’s Medina Aquarius Program houses the Aquarius Reef Base, a unique underwater research facility in the Florida Keys. also supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of, and more than 400 student-athletes participate in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.
The Center for Internet Augmented Research and Assessment (CIARA) at Florida International University’s Modesto Maidique Campus recruits graduate computer science and/or engineering students to participate in National Science Foundation (NSF) sponsored projects. Students will get exposure to novel software development for Software Defined Network (SDN) technologies, network automation software development concepts and techniques, state-of-the-art technology, and experience supporting projects that benefit research institutions.
Objective: To assist with the implementation of OAuth2 Authentication with CILogon in Swagger API.
Duties to include:
- Assist with the review of Swagger API Documentation:
- Collaborate with the product owner and team members to understand the Swagger/OpenAPI documentation.
- Identify API endpoints that require OAuth2 authentication.
- Assist with CILogon Integration:
- Register the application with CILogon and obtain client credentials (client ID and client secret).
- Configure OAuth2 library (e.g., authlib, oauthlib) for OAuth2 authentication.
- Implement OAuth2 authorization code flow or an appropriate flow as per project requirements.
- Assist with the Update Swagger Spec:
- Update the existing Swagger/OpenAPI documentation to include OAuth2 security definitions.
- Specify security requirements for the secured API endpoints within the Swagger spec.
- Assist with Code Generation:
- Use Swagger Codegen or similar tools to generate client code in Python 3.9 based on the Swagger spec. 3.0
- Assist with the OAuth2 Implementation:
- Implement the OAuth2 authentication flow within the application code.
- Integrate the client credentials (client ID and client secret) obtained from CILogon.
- Ensure secure token exchange and token usage in API requests.
- Assist with Testing and Debugging:
- Thoroughly test the OAuth2 authentication flow to verify its functionality.
- Debug and resolve any issues related to authentication and token management.
- Collaborate with the Quality Assurance (QA) team to conduct testing.
- Assist with Documentation:
- Create and maintain clear and up-to-date documentation explaining how to use the Swagger API with OAuth2 authentication.
- Document the OAuth2 flow, including token acquisition and renewal procedures.
- Assist with Deployment:
- Deploy the updated application to the designated server on the FIU platform.
- Ensure that the application is accessible to end-users.
- Assist with Sprint Review and Feedback:
- Participate in sprint review meetings to demonstrate the OAuth2 authentication implementation.
- Collect feedback from team members, stakeholders, and the product owner.
- Make necessary adjustments based on feedback.
- Assist with Security and Maintenance:
- Implement security best practices to protect against common web security vulnerabilities.
- Regularly monitor and maintain the OAuth2 authentication system for security and performance.
- Update OAuth2 credentials and libraries as required.
Requires prior completion of FIU Service Excellence training or completion within the first 30 days.
M-F, 9 am – 5 pm (Up to 20 hours/week)
Work schedules can be tailored to the student’s curriculum and class requirements.
(Graduate /Research Assistantship option may be available)
Criminal Background Check
This student appointment may be subject to a pre-employment background check.
- Current FIU students in a computer science, engineering, or networking-related curriculum
- FIU students majoring in CS/IT or students with a minor in CS/IT
- Web programming in Jupiter Notebook
- Software development in Python
- Knowledge of Linux OS and shell scripting
- Knowledge of software security preferred expertise or knowledge of authentication with OAuth-secured API in Python.
- Knowledge in Cybersecurity
- Ability to solve problems independently
- Organizational and time-management skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Team player
- Ability to solve problems independently
- Good organizational and time-management skills
Graduate Student Apprentice Expert
Applicants must be currently enrolled as a student at FIU with a minimum of six (6) credits as an Undergraduate student or three (3) credits as a Graduate student during the Fall and Spring semesters.
During the Summer semesters, Students need only remain enrolled and are not required to take credit hours but cannot have graduated.
Upon graduating, student employment must end.
Student Background Checks
Background check and fingerprinting are required if the job includes any of the following:
|Duties:||Yes or No|
|Working directly with and/or residing with minors and/or vulnerable persons.||No|
|Handling/managing cash, checks, cash transactions, gift cards, debit/credit cards, and/or cash equivalent.||No|
|Information technology (IT) related functions.||Yes|
|Driving on behalf of the university (MVR Check only).||No|
|Those working in the Athletics Department who travel with students to events.||No|
|Working within museums.||No|
|Those working in the Office of Financial Aid, One Stop, or Office of the Registrar (Title IV access).||No|
|Special trust, responsibility, and sensitive location||No|
How To Apply
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject GA/RA application
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the University Police department at Florida International University provides information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three (3) calendar years. The FIU Annual Security report is available online at: https://police.fiu.edu/download/annual-security-fire-safety-report/.
To obtain a paper copy of the report, please visit the FIU Police Department located at 885 SW 109th Avenue, Miami, FL, 33199 (PG5 Market Station).
Florida International University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.