Job Title: Sr Software Developer Q-Factor
Job ID: 522315
Location: Modesto A. Maidique Campus, Miami, FL
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Florida International University is Miami’s public research university, focused on student success. According to U.S. News and World Report, FIU has 42 top-50 rankings in the nation among public universities. FIU is a top U.S. research university (R1), with more than $200 million in annual expenditures. FIU ranks 15th in the nation among public universities for patent production, which drives innovation, and is one of the institutions that helps make Florida the top state for higher education. The Next Horizon fundraising campaign is furthering FIU’s commitment to providing students Worlds Ahead opportunities. Today, FIU has two campuses and multiple centers, and supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA, with more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. The university has awarded more than 330,000 degrees to many leaders in South Florida and beyond. For more information about FIU, visit www.fiu.edu.
Software Developer will support the Division of Information Technology’s Center for Internet Augment Research and Assessment (CIARA) by developing Linux Kernel modules and P4 applications to enhance the big data operations over the AmLight-ExP Software-Defined Networking (SDN) production environment that enables research and education activities between the U.S. and the nations of Latin America, Caribbean, and Africa.
- Designs and implements P4 applications to expand the AmLight-ExP management plane to the data transfer nodes using P4/In-band Network Telemetry (INT).
- Designs and implements Linux Loadable Kernel Modules to change the Linux TCP/IP stack.
- Works with network engineers and a postdoc to create Linux applications to tune the Linux TCP/IP stack to enhance data transfers.
- Troubleshoots technical and non-technical issues related to the applications.
- Troubleshoots, debugs, maintains, and improves the application software.
- Manages and monitors software application performance.
- Bachelor’s degree in MIS, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Studies, or other technical discipline and five (5) years related experience OR an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Experience developing Linux Kernel modules
- Experience developing Linux applications
- Experience with C programming language
- Experience with Git
- Experience developing high performance data transfer applications is highly desired
- Knowledge of network concepts, especially the TCP protocol, is highly desired
- Experience with P4 is highly desired
- Experience with Python programming language is highly desired
- Experience with contributing to open source software projects is a plus
- Basic knowledge of libpcap is a plus
- $76,000 – Commensurate with experience
Begin time: 8:30 AM
End time: 5:00 PM
- International Travel
- Loud Noise from Equipment/Machinery/Vibration
- Criminal Background Check
- Driver’s License Check
- Fingerprinting Check
- Must attend meetings off-campus and occasionally attend functions on weekends and evening
- Ability to travel locally and nationally.
- Ability to travel internationally.
How To Apply
Please use the direct link here
Visit https://hr.fiu.edu/careers/ and click on “Prospective employee“, then search for job number 522315
If you have not created a registered account, you will be asked to create a username and password for use of the system. It is recommended that you provide an active/valid e-mail account as that will be the main source of communication regarding your status within the process. In this account, you are able to track your applicant status in “My Applications“.
In order to be considered eligible for the position as an internal candidate, departmental staff must meet minimum requirements of the position, be in good performance standing, and have been continuously employed at the University for at least six months.
Before you begin the process, we recommend that you are prepared to attach electronic copies of your resume, cover letter or any other documents within the application process. It is recommended that you combine your cover letter and resume/curriculum vitae into one attachment. Attached documents should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format. All applicants are required to complete the online application including work history and educational details (if applicable), even when attaching a resume.
*This posting will close at 12:00 am of the close date.
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the University Police department at Florida International University provides information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three (3) calendar years. The FIU Annual Security report is available online at: https://police.fiu.edu/download/annual-security-fire-safety-report/.
To obtain a paper copy of the report, please visit the FIU Police Department located at 885 SW 109th Avenue, Miami, FL, 33199 (PG5 Market Station).
Florida International University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.