Job Title: Network Engineer
Job ID: 522171
Location: Modesto A. Maidique Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Close Date: 10/21/2020
Florida International University is Miami’s public research university, focused on student success. According to U.S. News and World Report, FIU has 42 top-50 rankings in the nation among public universities. FIU is a top U.S. research university (R1), with more than $200 million in annual expenditures. FIU ranks 15th in the nation among public universities for patent production, which drives innovation, and is one of the institutions that helps make Florida the top state for higher education. The Next Horizon fundraising campaign is furthering FIU’s commitment to providing students Worlds Ahead opportunities. Today, FIU has two campuses and multiple centers, and supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA, with more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. The university has awarded more than 330,000 degrees to many leaders in South Florida and beyond. For more information about FIU, visit www.fiu.edu.
Supports the Division of Information Technology’s Center for Internet Augmented Research and Assessment (CIARA) by designing, developing, and implementing network infrastructure and management systems for the AMPATH International Exchange Point as well as other NSF supported grant projects. Supports the day-to-day network engineering of the AMPATH International Exchange Point, to ensure the integrity and security in the delivery of network services to FIU and national and international research and education networks. Installs, provides configuration and management for, and troubleshoots wide-area networks, on both optical and packet layers. Provides assistance and high-level networking technical support for FIU Faculty and Staff, and CIARA participants and vendors. Assists in evaluating and the establishment of network standards.
- Assists in the design, development, and implementation of network infrastructure and management systems for the AMPATH International Exchange Point.
- Implement inter-domain Routing and Peering policies for both IPv4 and IPv6.
- Maintains dialogue with end-users, IT Administrators, and vendors regarding the proper operation of network services provided by the AMPATH International Exchange Point and CIARA projects.
- Maintains current knowledge of network services, new technologies, and related hardware and software applications, including SDN and OpenFlow.
- Provides support for the management of network and data management systems for the operations of the AMPATH International Exchange Point and CIARA. Projects including but not limited to Ethernet and SDN services.
- Supports monitoring systems for hybrid network services in support of network research, for support of data-intensive science, and for the at-scale deployment of network prototyping efforts using knowledge of programming languages such as Shell and Python.
- Supports in the development and direction of programs for CIARA.
- Supports in the troubleshooting activities of network infrastructure problems in a multi-vendor WAN submarine system network environment.
- Provides On-Call after-hours support as required.
- Develops network monitoring tools using Bash, Python, and Ansible.
- Performs other related duties as required or directed by the supervisor. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- High school diploma and six (6) years of related experience, OR an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
- Experience working with networking protocols (Open Shortest Path First (OSPFv2 & OSPFv3) and Multiprotocol Extensions for BGP(MP-BGP).
- Two (2) years of work experience with Linux services and server configurations.
- Experience working with network devices such as Juniper or Extreme/Brocade.
- Experience working with scripting with Linux BASH.
- Experience working with Python development.
- Hands-on experience with OpenFlow or P4 networks is highly desired
- Linux LPICv1 or CompTIA Linux+ certifications is highly desired
- Experience with Ansible is highly desired
- Juniper JNCP-SP certification is a plus
- Basic knowledge of Software-Defined Networking and OpenFlow
- $60,000 – $65,000
Begin time: 8:30 AM
End time: 5:00 PM
- Loud Noise from Equipment/Machinery/Vibration
- Criminal Background Check
- Driver’s License Check
- Fingerprinting Check
- Ability to travel locally and nationally.
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed.
- Ability to work occasional evenings, weekends and at locations outside of the University.
How To Apply
Please use the direct link here
Visit https://hr.fiu.edu/careers/ and click on “Prospective employee“, then search for job number 522171
If you have not created a registered account, you will be asked to create a username and password for use of the system. It is recommended that you provide an active/valid e-mail account as that will be the main source of communication regarding your status within the process. In this account, you are able to track your applicant status in “My Applications“.
In order to be considered eligible for the position as an internal candidate, departmental staff must meet minimum requirements of the position, be in good performance standing, and have been continuously employed at the University for at least six months.
Before you begin the process, we recommend that you are prepared to attach electronic copies of your resume, cover letter or any other documents within the application process. It is recommended that you combine your cover letter and resume/curriculum vitae into one attachment. Attached documents should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format. All applicants are required to complete the online application including work history and educational details (if applicable), even when attaching a resume.
*This posting will close at 12:00 am of the close date.
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the University Police department at Florida International University provides information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three (3) calendar years. The FIU Annual Security report is available online at: https://police.fiu.edu/download/annual-security-fire-safety-report/.
To obtain a paper copy of the report, please visit the FIU Police Department located at 885 SW 109th Avenue, Miami, FL, 33199 (PG5 Market Station).
Florida International University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.