Job Title: Senior Network Engineer
Job ID: 516247
Location: Modesto A. Maidique Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
To apply for this position please click here
Florida International University is classified by Carnegie as a R1: Doctoral Universities – Highest Research Activity and recognized as a Carnegie engaged university. It is a public research university with colleges and schools that offers 196 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in fields such as engineering, computer science, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU contributes almost $9 billion each year to the local economy. FIU is Worlds Ahead in finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission. FIU has awarded more than 220,000 degrees and enrolls more than 54,000 students in two campuses and three centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell, FIU@I-75, and the Miami Beach Urban Studios. FIU’s Medina Aquarius Program houses the Aquarius Reef Base, a unique underwater research facility in the Florida Keys. FIU also supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA and more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.
The Senior Network Engineer:
Provides network engineering support to the Center for Internet Augment Research and Assessment (CIARA) of the Division of Information Technology, by coordinating and leading the design, development and implementation of a high-level research network infrastructure and management systems for the AMPATH International Exchange Point, as well as, sponsored projects funded through the U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF).
Provides primary support for the installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of active network equipment and responds to end users for issues concerning networks and systems and analyzes and troubleshoots complex network infrastructure problems.
- Leads the design, development and implementation of network infrastructure and management systems for the AMPATH International Exchange Point.
- Implements inter-domain Routing and Peering policies for both IPv4 and IPv6.
- Maintains dialogue with end users, IT Administrations and vendors regarding the proper operation of network services provided by the AMPATH International Exchange Point and CIARA projects.
- Interacts with engineers located in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Maintains current knowledge of network services, new technologies and related hardware and software applications, including SDN and OpenFlow.
- Provides support for the management of network and data management systems for the operations of the AMPATH International Exchange Point and CIARA. Projects including but not limited to Ethernet and SDN services.
- Supports monitoring systems for hybrid network services in support of network research, for support of data intensive science, and for at-scale deployment of network prototyping efforts using knowledge of programming languages such as Shell and Python.
- Supports in the development and direction of programs at CIARA.
- Supports in the troubleshooting activities of network infrastructure problems in a multi-vendor
- WAN submarine network system environment.
- Provides On-Call after hours support as required.
- Develops network monitoring tools using Bash and Python.
- Works as the network operator during one or two weeks per month, pro-actively monitoring the network and immediately responding to incidents during business hours.
- Performs other related duties as required or directed by supervisor. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Bachelor’s degree in a computer related field and five (5) years of related experience, OR an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
Juniper JNCIA certification or equivalent knowledge.
Excellent working knowledge of OSPFv2, OSPFv3 and MP-BGP
Two (2) years of work experience with Linux services and server configurations
Excellent working knowledge of IPv6
Excellent working knowledge of CentOS and Debian GNU/Linux configuration and tuning
Good experience with Brocade and Juniper network devices
Good knowledge of Python development
Good experience with Layer 2 protocols, including QinQ and Spanning Tree
Knowledge of Software-Defined Networking and OpenFlow
Linux LPICv1 or CompTIA Linux+ certification is highly desired
Hands-on experience with OpenFlow networks is highly desired
$90,000 Commensurate with Experience
Begin time: 8:30 AM
End time: 5:00 PM
Loud Noise from Equipment/Machinery/Vibration
Criminal Background Check
Must be able to work with loud noise from Equipment/Machinery/Vibration.
On call 24 hours by 7 days for possible emergency situations.
Ability to travel locally and nationally.
Ability to travel internationally.
How To Apply
If you have not created a registered account, you will be asked to create a username and password for use of the system. It is recommended that you provide an active/valid e-mail account as that will be the main source of communication regarding your status within the process.
In order to be considered eligible for the position as an internal candidate, departmental staff must meet minimum requirements of the position, be in good performance standing, and have been continuously employed at the University for at least six months.
Before you begin the process, we recommend that you are prepared to attach electronic copies of your resume, cover letter or any other documents within the application process. It is recommended that you combine your cover letter and resume/curriculum vitae into one attachment. Attached documents should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format. All applicants are required to complete the online application including work history and educational details (if applicable), even when attaching a resume.
*This posting will close at 12 am of the close date.
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the University Police department at Florida International University provides information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three (3) calendar years. The FIU Annual Security report is available online at: https://police.fiu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/54/2016/04/Campus_Security_Report__Safety_Guide.pdf.
To obtain a paper copy of the report, please visit the FIU Police Department located at 885 SW 109th Avenue, Miami, FL, 33199 (PG5 Market Station).
Florida International University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.